Football

Martin O’Neill to be new Irish boss, Roy Keane assistant

O’Neill will be charged with picking up the Ireland team.

DUBLIN: Ireland is set to appoint Martin O’Neill as manager and Roy Keane as his assistant, more than a decade after the former captain walked out on the team at the 2002 World Cup, FAI chief executive John Delaney said Tuesday. Delaney said the pair still had to sign contracts but that he saw no impediment to O’Neill taking over from Giovanni Trapattoni, who quit in September, and that the former Aston Villa and Celtic boss would be unveiled Saturday.

“Almost done now. There’s nothing I think that will be an impediment in terms of Martin being manager and Roy as his assistant,” Delaney told the Newstalk radio station.

O’Neill, once touted in the media for a big club job in England after winning three Scottish league titles and reaching the UEFA Cup final in a successful spell at Celtic, was sacked as manager of struggling Sunderland earlier this year.

He will be charged with picking up an Ireland team that finished in fourth place in the recent World Cup qualification campaign and were outclassed at Euro 2012 when Trapattoni was widely criticized for his negative tactics.

The ex-Northern Ireland international was favorite to take over from Trapattoni after the Italian quit following a poor run of games but Keane’s return as his No. 2 is an intriguing move by Delaney and his association.

The former Manchester United midfielder, regarded as one of the country’s greatest players, had a major fallout with the FAI over what he saw as amateurish preparations for the World Cup in Japan and South Korea, and despite returning to play two years later, he has remained a vocal critic of the association.

Keane, who also had a stint in charge of Sunderland but saw his coaching ambitions stall during an unsuccessful period at second tier Ipswich Town, slammed Delaney for being pictured drinking with fans during last year’s championship.

But it is the seven-time Premier League winner’s withering evaluation of then-manager Mick McCarthy and of the FAI in general on the eve of the 2002 World Cup that means he remains one of the most divisive figures in Irish football.

The fiery midfielder threw the national team into chaos when he walked out and the incident dominated the front and back pages of newspapers for days, even being depicted in a musical that compared the dispute to a Shakespearean tragedy.

“Anything that would have been said by Roy or I to each other or about each other is now irrelevant,” said Delaney, who added that the imminent appointments would not have been possible without the continued financial support of media mogul Dennis O’Brien.

“He [Martin] asked what the association’s view would be in terms of Roy being the assistant and I said absolutely no problem. I met him [Roy] last week and we’ve discussed the past. It was discussed for about 30 seconds.”

“This is a roller coaster that me and most of the Irish people are looking forward to.”

 
A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Daily Star on November 06, 2013, on page 14.

Recommended





Advertisement

Comments

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)

comments powered by Disqus

Advertisement

FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE

Interested in knowing more about this story?

Click here