BEIRUT: A 15-year-old boy who shot himself in the head overnight following the announcement of the official Brevet exam results was in critical condition Friday at a hospital in Baalbeck. A source at the Dar al-Amal Hospital said early Friday that the boy was being treated for a bullet wound to the head in the intensive care unit.
While The Daily Star was unable to reach the boy’s parents, a source close to the family said Friday evening that the boy was in stable condition, but that his health had not improved since the morning.
The source said the boy’s father had woken up to the sound of a gunshot after the exam results were announced, at just after one in the morning. He rushed to his son’s room, where he found the boy on the ground, and then took him to the nearest hospital.
A source from the Baalbeck Municipality told The Daily Star that security forces launched an investigation into the issue.
Although some social media users accused the parents of pressuring the boy to pass the exam, the source close to the family denied that this was the case.
The Brevet exam was administered earlier this month to thousands of Grade 9 students who wished to continue on to high school.
A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Daily Star on June 29, 2019, on page 3.