Music

‘The People’s Opera’ files for bankruptcy protection in New York

Advertising for the performance of “Anna Nicole” is seen at the Brooklyn Academy of Music.

NEW YORK: The New York City Opera filed for bankruptcy protection Thursday after announcing earlier this week that it had failed to raise enough money to stay open and would close its doors. An urgent fundraising appeal by the 70-year-old company, dubbed “The People’s Opera,” raised only about $2 million of the $7 million it said it needed by the end of September.

Citing declining revenues over several years, the company said in court documents filed Thursday that it canceled its current season and “does not intend to continue producing opera seasons in the future.”

“Absent a drastic change in circumstances, another cultural or educational institution being willing to partner with or adopt NYC Opera, or a miraculous increase in donations, NYC Opera will be forced to conduct an orderly wind down of its operations,” it said.

It listed its liabilities in its Chapter 11 bankruptcy documents at $5.6 million.

Also in the documents, it said it attributed its financial decline to “a troubled economy, decreased donations and increasing pension obligations” as well as a crowded entertainment market, competition with the Metropolitan Opera, New York City’s other major opera company, and a decrease in arts education, arts journalism and arts on television and radio.

This season, the company was presenting “Anna Nicole,” an opera based on the life and death of Anna Nicole Smith, a Texas stripper best known for marrying oil tycoon J. Howard Marshall when he was 89 and she was 26.

Founded in 1943, the New York City Opera was dubbed “The People’s Opera” by New York Mayor Fiorello La Guardia. The company was intended to promote young performers and composers, present new works and fresh interpretations of classics and make opera affordable and accessible to city residents.

The company helped to launch the careers of such stars as Reneé Fleming, Beverly Sills, Frederica von Stade and Placido Domingo, according to its website.

 

Recommended





Advertisement

Comments

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)

comments powered by Disqus

Advertisement

FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE

Interested in knowing more about this story?

Click here