People wait at the departure gates at Beirut International Airport. (The Daily Star/Hasan Shaaban)
Your feedback is important to us!
We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.
Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.
Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)
Caretaker Transport Minister Youssef Fenianos said Thursday that his ministry is not responsible for the ongoing crisis at Beirut's Rafik Hariri International Airport."That falls on the Council for Development and Reconstruction," he said. Instead, he emphasized that only the airport's employees fall under his ministry's purview.The source added that although the Cabinet decided in February that the airport should undergo urgent maintenance work, the Finance Ministry did not issue the decree allocating the CDR money for the work until last week.Even so, Fenianos said Thursday he would be willing to testify in before a court he had warned of the problems facing the airport and had done everything to avoid the current crisis.Fenianos did, however, offer some optimism, saying the installation of new security equipment should be finished by the end of next year, which could help ease the process of getting through the airport.
FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE